When we were Active Duty Army, we would grill out all the time with our building neighbors. It was a great way to unwind after long weeks, and it fostered a sense of community. Everyone would bring something, and we’d kind of potluck it.
One dish that was always present, aside from copious amounts of liquor, were these bacon-wrapped jalapenos. I’m not sure where they started, who created the idea, but three of us wives always had an assembly line going, the hubsters had the grill hot, and we kept the group satisfied.
They were incredibly simple – fill half a jalapeno with cream cheese, wrap in bacon, grill.
I thought it couldn’t get any better than that.
Introducing the heart-stopping, calorie-popping, cholesterol-shocking Chicken Bomb.
If a bacon wrapped jalapeno is good-golly, check out a Bacon-wrapped-chicken-wrapped-jalapeno with BBQ sauce.
The gas station down the road from us sells something similar. And that’s when the gears started to turn in my brain, but it wasn’t until I came across this post that I had a moment of insanity and decided to cook these for dinner.
Bacon. BBQ sauce. Chicken. Jalapenos. Cream Cheese. Oh my golly, miss molly.
They’re super easy to prepare, almost identical to the basic bacon wrapped jalapenos from back in the day.
recipe adapted from Key Ingredient
- 2 chicken breasts
- 3 jalapenos
- 4 ounces cream cheese (flavored cream cheese would be awesome!)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- 1 package bacon
- 1 bottle BBQ sauce
- salt, garlic-pepper grinder
- Preheat oven to 400° and pull out a broiler pan.
- Prepare your chicken, because thick breasts aren’t gonna work – layer the breasts with wax paper, pull out your meat pounder and beat the crap outta the breasts until they are nice and thin. It really works out the aggression.
- Once they are nice and about 1/4″ thick, season both sides with salt and the garlic-pepper grinder. At this point, I sliced my breasts into three strips each. I then had six thin chicken strips. Set aside.
- Wash yo hands.
- Pull out the peppers, slice lengthwise, and scoop out the centers. I removed all seeds and still had some heat. Rinse the peppers. Set aside.
- Wash yo hands. Seriously. Wash those little mofos right now, or else you will burn your face. And you will deserve it.
- Combine the cream cheese, cheddar cheese and some more garlic-pepper grinder.
- Using a small spoon, scoop the cream cheese mixture into the center of the jalapenos. Use all of the cheese, it’s cheese, really, you can’t go wrong with using it.
- Gather up your chicken strips, jalapenos, and bacon.
- Place one cheese filled jalapeno face down (by face down, I mean cheese side on chicken) on the chicken breast strip. Roll the edge of the chicken over the jalapeno and roll until completely covered. Pick up a slice of bacon, and wrap that piggy goodness around the chicken. Place seam side down on roasting pan. Repeat with the remaining breast strips and jalapenos. I had 6 total.
- Bake for 10 minutes on a 400° oven, then turn over. Bake for another 10 minutes.
- At the end of the second 10 minutes, turn and baste in BBQ sauce and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Turn on the broiler, turn and broil the bombs for about 5-6 minutes to give the BBQ sauce a nice set.
Hubster really liked these, but he wants to grill them next time. His only complaint was that the bacon wasn’t super crispy like they get when he grills the bacon-wrapped jalapenos. So next time, we’re grilling them!
We had our chicken bombs with my Sriracha Potato Salad and broccoli with cheese.
Definitely looking forward to making these again, especially since hubby wants to grill them.
How can you go wrong with that?!