Once again we found ourselves with a few extra bananas sitting around, and the baking bug bit me.
It’s been a little bit since I’ve baked, usually I’m going every other day with baking, but being pregnant with Polymyositis wears the body down.
Anyhoo, this recipe is very similar (well, almost identical) to my Coconut Caramel Banana Bread. There are a few small differences, since I didn’t use coconut this time, but I did include cinnamon, and instead of yogurt, I used sour cream.
It was delish, but I think I will bake it longer next time. I had it at 350 degrees for 65 minutes, but I don’t care for this oven (and honestly, I think this oven hates me, too, so we’re kinda even). I recommend starting at an hour and then checking it every 5 minutes or so. I feel like next time, with this crackpot oven, at least 70 minutes would work.
It came out incredibly moist, but was a tad too gooey. The bottom stayed in the breadpan, so it didn’t look lovely, but the taste was incredible.
Ethan had a slice for dessert last night, and he shared a bite with Grandma, who commented that it was better than her family recipe.
Talk about compliment!
She even took some to work with her and told me that they loved it. I am getting quite the reputation for being a decent baker. Love it!
The recipe is so easy, even the toddler was able to help. And lick the beater afterwards!
Caramel Banana Bread
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 mashed bananas (about 1 – 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 3/4 cup Caramel baking bits
- Preheat oven to 350° and prepare a loaf pan by either spraying it with cooking spray or oiling/flouring it.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and cornstarch, whisk with a fork to lightly mix them together.
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream the butter and sugars. Add the eggs and beat until combined. Mix in the vanilla and sour cream, then beat thoroughly.
- Fold in the mashed bananas.
- With a spatula, slowly fold in the flour mixture with the wet mixture. It will have a lumpy texture, which is perfect. It also tastes amazing.
- Mix in the caramel bits. Make sure to slowly but thoroughly mix the caramel into the batter, to ensure it is evenly distributed throughout.
- Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan. If desired, top with caramel bits and sprinkle with additional cinnamon.
- Bake for approximately 60 minutes. But check it based on your oven’s baking – like I said, my oven is terrible.
- Let the bread cool completely in the loaf pan before attempting to pull it out.
I had to work fast to get a blog post out of this loaf, it’s already half gone, and even while photographing it, the little came over and snagged some.
Tonight the little insisted he was done eating dinner, that he was fit to burst. After letting him get up from the dinner table, he proudly walked into the kitchen, snagged a slice of banana bread and went on his way…
Yea, it’s that good.