I am watching my nephew and niece over the summer while their mom works, which is fun because it gives Ethan other little shorties his size to tumble with. The best part is that they get along so well, and I know when one is quiet, they’re all cooperating in shenanigans (haha) but no, seriously, my favorite part of it is making memories with all of the kids (one day I’m sure I will hear, “Aunt Trina, remember when…” and my heart will melt all over again). So in the spirit of giving them something to remember, I decided to throw together some cookies as a treat.
I have to uphold my status as the Baking Aunt, haha.
Since these were for the kiddos, I wanted to make something fun and yummy, but also easy and quick. That’s why I opted to make a batch of cakemix cookies.
No joke, cakemix cookies are probably the easiest cookies you’ll ever make. 3-4 ingredients (depending on if you want chips or mix-ins!) and you’re good to go.
Usually my go-to cakemix cookie are funfetti M&M cookies, but this time I had a Dark Chocolate cake mix on hand so I used that with the M&M candies.
The kids really loved these cookies and I adored the pop of color provided by the mini Ms! The color contrast between the dark chocolate cookie and the brightly colored candies was heaven to my heart. And it certainly didn’t deter the little fingers from snatching some!
There were two left when I heard E say, “I’m gonna eat my dinner and then eat that!”
These are definitely the cookie to make if you want to impress the kiddos. They are very moist and thick, almost reminding me of a brownie! It was like eating a brownie cookie with M&Ms – so decadent.
While I am sitting here describing this cookie to you, I have to admit that I actually only had two of them. I still have a hard time eating too much chocolate (but don’t worry, I have another cookie recipe that I am super excited to share – soon!)
These cookies are rich, full of chocolate yumminess, and seemed to disappear pretty quickly… Which is why I’m so proud that I actually got some pictures taken! It was fun, trying to photograph a few cookies with three littles following me around asking me what I was doing with the cookies!
This recipe is so easy, they can absolutely be made quickly in a pinch!
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 cake mix (I used Pillsbury Dark Chocolate cake mix)
- 1 bag mini M&Ms (I can usually find these in the candy section of Wal-Mart and Winn-Dixie, never in the “official” baking section, fyi)
- Combine oil, egg and cakemix, mix thoroughly.
- Using a spatula, gently fold in 3/4 of the M&Ms.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350º and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silpat.
- Pour remaining mini M&Ms into a bowl.
- I used my larger cookie scoop on these, (but you can realistically make them any size you want) and scooped them, rolled them into balls, then pressed the cookie balls into a bowl of M&Ms; place about 1″ apart on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes; when done, pull out of the oven and let cool on the cookie sheet slightly before transferring to cooling rack.
- Watch as they disappear!
Didn’t I tell you it was easy?!
I wasn’t joking! On top of being easy, look at how pretty they are…
The possibilities are endless for cakemix cookies, too. This is just one of several variations that I’ve played with. What are some ideas that you have for cakemix cookies? I’d love to hear!